Lowestoft District & Pye Amateur Radio Club
Prior to 1982/3 Lowestoft was blessed with two amateur radio clubs the Lowestoft and District Amateur Radio Club and the Pye Radio Club, Lowestoft and District Amateur Radio Club The former originating from the pre WW2 1920/30’s, earliest records show the club was registered with the Post Office in 1921 as the Lowestoft and District Wireless Radio Society. Club meetings were held at various venues around the town The YMCA that was originally somewhere in the first floor above what was until recently the Electricity board show rooms. The YMCA was then moved to premises up near to Park Road and opposite the Sparrows Nest, and finally meetings were held for some years at the Teaching Centre at Lovewell Road close to Kirkley Fen. Pye Radio Club Pye being an electronics based company, a number of staff were keen radio amateurs, and an interest group became part of The Pye Sports and Social Club. This helped fund equipment and a magnificent portable building to house it (now housing our junk and canteen facilities). The group flourished up until the closure of the site 1980/1. Most of the members attended the Lowestoft and District Amateur radio Club having membership of both, and so when the closure of the factory site was imminent, an agreement was reached with the powers that be to allocate the site we now inhabit in company with the Pye Pistol Club to continue our activities generously donating a lorry load of redicrete cement for the tower base hut base and the remainder is a strange little path which almost reaches the gate. After a short while it became a natural progression to amalgamate the two clubs. The amalgamation of the two meant more activity from the site and a more permanent home for the larger group. There was a certain amount of dissention mostly on club fees but on the whole it was a bloodless experience and The Lowestoft District and Pye Amateur Radio Club was born. Thanks to John Elsdon G4RLS for the info so far. To be continued.......
A Brief History of the club
The UKs Most Easterly Radio Club